Whenever I’m in a funk, I feel grumpy and disengaged from life in general. Basically, I become lethargic during these periods. My motivation is in such low gear that it becomes barely noticeable. I’m not spinning my wheels going nowhere, they become locked in place. Usually I go ahead and allow myself to indulge in my funk for a day or two. Who doesn’t love an occasional pity party? But, beyond that time period I’m really concerned that I’m headed toward a dark shadow. I’m fully aware that depression could get its ugly grip on me if I don’t turn the corner. Persistent bad moods can absolutely lead to health problems. Do yourself a favor and seek out some healthy outlets for releasing depressive thoughts and squelching lack-luster activities.
Definition of a funk – lack of motivation and low energy
Healthy Ways to Get Yourself out of a Funk
- Go for a walk – I’m not talking about a marathon here. If you can only manage a walk around the block you’ll be better for it. Be sure to take in some deep breaths while you’re outside to clear your lungs.
- Do a Random Act of Kindness – Stop feeling sorry for yourself and make someone else’s day special. Afterwards, you will both feel better.
- Clear out clutter – One of the quickest ways to generate new and fresh energy moving into my space is to clear away stagnant energies by throwing out useless materials. Tossing out trash may seem like work, but it is totally energizing once you get the hang of it.
- Try a new recipe – We all get in ruts eating and preparing the same foods again and again. Maybe you won’t like it… so what! Where’s your adventuresome spirit? The whole idea is to get you out of a funk, right?
- Volunteer at a food pantry – Put yourself in a position of service to those who are less fortunate than you are. Your own worries will seem less troubling when you see firsthand the plight of others.
- Hug a Tree – Spending time with nature is my favorite way to feel better. Put on your hiking boots and get lost for a couple hours near a babbling brook. If you can’t get out of town, at least go for a barefoot run through the grasses in your yard.
- Change your bed sheets – Better yet, go out and purchase a new set of colorful bed linens to brighten up your bedroom. When is the last time you changed your linens anyway? If you let your routine weekly sheet change slip by then you’re certainly in FUNK territory. Crisp, clean, and colorful bed linens to curl up inside at bedtime will offer comfort when you most need it.
- Go see a funny movie – Forgo the tear-jerkers and dramas at the theater this time around. You need a good belly-laugh to break that funk, viewing a comedy is your best bet. Invite a friend to go along with you and see who laughs the hardest/longest.
- Spend quality time with a child – Take your niece/nephew or a neighbor’s child out on a special outing to a zoo or playtime at a nearby park. Even a quick trip to get corn dogs and a root beer float will be appreciated. Children love it when adults give them special attention. Plus, you’ll get the satisfaction of not only bringing about a joyful smile on a child’s face, you’ll be smiling too!
- Pamper yourself – Do whatever it is that brings you the most joy. It might be indulging in a bubble bath, reading a saucy romance novel, or breaking out of your routine to go inline skating. Don’t tell yourself that you don’t deserve it. BECAUSE YOU DO!